Read Time: 2 min
Email Design Podcast #35: Windows 10 Mail Rendering, Gmail Rollout Updates, and Image Blocking in Email
In the 35th episode of The Email Design Podcast, hosts Kevin Mandeville and Jason Rodriguez break down Windows 10 Mail rendering, the latest on Gmail’s rollout of <style> and media queries, and image blocking in email. Be sure to follow along and join in the discussion on Twitter using #EmailDesignPodcast.
Watch the full video above or listen to the audio-only version below.
In this episode:
- (0:25) Windows 10 Mail Rendering: We take a look at the rendering quirks of Outlook’s newest email client which features similar rendering to Outlook 2007-2016 and introduces a lack of support for text-decoration inline.
- (4:42) Gmail rendering update rollout: We review the status of Gmail’s rollout of its support for <style> and media queries. We also look into some new quirks the new rendering has including a lack of attribute selector support and a CSS character limit.
- (12:25) #emailgeeks Slack: We talk about our favorite Slack room on the web and why every single person involved in email should join it.
- (15:30) An alternative theory to image blocking: We break down Steven Collins’ (Rebelmail) alternative approach to using ALT text in email which does not include using ALT text.
- (21:15) How webmails block images: We dive into how webmails actually process images and how that affects the display of ALT text rendering.
- (23:40) Email of the Week: Typeform Roundup
Follow the Email Design Podcast
- Follow on SoundCloud
- Subscribe on iTunes
- Subscribe on YouTube
GET THE LATEST DELIVERED STRAIGHT TO YOUR INBOX
Want to get more tips and advice like this? Subscribe to our weekly newsletter and get the latest content for email design pros delivered straight to your inbox. Every week.