In the 47th episode of The Email Design Podcast, hosts Kevin Mandeville and Chad White answer questions from the Litmus Community, which include view online links, image-based emails, and if “the fold” in email really exists. Be sure to follow along and join in the discussion on Twitter using #EmailDesignPodcast.
Watch the full video above or listen to the audio-only version below.
In this episode:
- (0:43) Is the old Outlook Web App rendering deprecated? According to the Microsoft team, 99% of accounts have migrated off the old rendering to the new rendering and the rest are soon following. Email designers can start removing hacks and fixes for the old rendering engine.
- (3:23) What are you doing to future-proof your email career? Chad points to the fact that email is very stable as a medium compared to other media (i.e. MySpace) that is more vulnerable and performs higher than other channels. Kevin thinks more should embrace being a specialist in email and owning that niche.
- (12:05) Are “View online” links in email still necessary? Chad argues the days of needing a “View online” link are over as they don’t provide a ton of value compared to the valuable real estate they may take up. Kevin believes there are still benefits to using them, including accessibility, social sharing, and easy access for email geeks to look at the code.
- (18:24) What’s so bad about image-based emails? Both Kevin and Chad agree that image-based emails are a bad practice, even though images certainly have their place in email. The best rule of thumb is use text when it’s supposed to be text. Brands also need to stop viewing branded fonts and styles are necessary and start looking at them as progressive enhancement.
- (27:07) How important are “above the fold” buttons? As we have blogged before, “the fold” in email marketing is largely an outdated myth due to fragmentation of device size and people embracing the scroll. Instead, email marketers should focus on the efficiency of the space their using for content.
Follow the Email Design Podcast
GET THE LATEST DELIVERED STRAIGHT TO YOUR INBOX
Want to get more tips and advice like this? Subscribe to our weekly newsletter and get the latest content for email design pros delivered straight to your inbox. Every week.
- February 5, 2021
- July 16, 2021
- December 22, 2021
How does your email really look?
Preview across 90+ email clients, apps, and devices.Start Now
See it in Litmus