In the 81st episode of The Email Design Podcast, Kevin Mandeville and Jason Rodriguez discuss MailChimp moving its forms to single opt-in by default, AOL retiring its Alto Mail app, how to fix Outlook DPI scaling, and more. Be sure to follow along and join in the discussion on Twitter using #EmailDesignPodcast.
In this episode:
- (0:32) MailChimp is moving all forms to single opt-in by default: Users will still have the ability to set to double opt-in, but single opt-in will be the default behavior for all forms in MailChimp starting October 31st.
- (4:27) Alto Mail app is shutting down: The app will be taken off the app store on November 9th and support will fully discontinue on December 10th. Goodnight, sweet prince.
- (7:15) How to fix Outlook DPI scaling issues: Courtney Fantinato writes a great article based on her talk at Litmus Live on correcting DPI scaling in Outlook. Key action items: 1) add an XML namespace 2) force DPI setting with Outlook conditional comment 3) use CSS instead of HTML attributes.
- (11:48) Open source HTML email modification tools: EDMdesigner released TextVersion JS to strip out HTML markup and provide customize markdown, Bulletprooflist to convert lists into table-friendly lists, and BulletproofLineLength to force wrap long lines into separate lines.
- (13:57) Creating my own Gulp-based email workflow system: Inspired by her attendance at Litmus Live, Tori Pugh outlines her Gulp workflow which includes the use of Nunjucks templating and JSON for dynamic data.
- (16:05) Don’t design your emails: We give our takes on this article advocating for only ever using rich text emails and not designed, HTML emails.
- (24:14) SendGrid files for IPO: Having raised $80M to date and processed more than one trillion emails, SendGrid will be going public.
- (25:30) Emma sold, CEO steps down: Emma was acquired by Insight Venture Partners. Co-founder and CEO Clint Smith has stepped down, with CFO Wellford Dillard succeeding him. The company will remain in Nashville.
- (27:15) Email of the Week: Get a year’s worth of Framer
Follow the Email Design Podcast
GET THE LATEST DELIVERED STRAIGHT TO YOUR INBOX
Want to get more tips and advice like this? Subscribe to our weekly newsletter and get the latest content for email design pros delivered straight to your inbox. Every week.