Welcome to This Month in Email—our new monthly series about the latest happenings in the world of email marketing.
Read on for the biggest headlines shaping the email industry in January 2023 (or jump ahead!).
📰 News headlines
- Over 67,000 layoffs occurred across tech in 2023 so far, including Salesforce, Microsoft, Spotify, and more.
- Microsoft announces new multibillion-dollar investment in artificial intelligence (AI) as it extends its partnership with OpenAI, the creator of Dall-E and ChatGPT.
- Mailchimp was hacked, again.
- Email marketing company CM Group revamps as Marigold.
- Sam Bankman-Fried, founder of FTX, the now-bankrupt cryptocurrency firm, launches a Substack newsletter to defend his actions.
- Morning Brew, a daily email newsletter covering business, finance, and tech, acquires Our Future, a startup that produces short-form digital video content.
- Patent Drop, a Substack newsletter about the future of Big Tech, gets acquired by The Daily Upside.
- Mailchimp launches Campaign Manager, a planning tool providing a holistic view of campaigns , as well as webhooks.
- ChatGPT passes MBA exam given by a professor at University of Pennsylvania’s Wharton School. It could potentially pass the US Medical Licensing Exam and the Bar, too. Meanwhile, educators scramble to combat ChatGPT on college campuses.
✨ Community happenings
Parcel Unpacked took place on January 17th-18th—a free email conference featuring talks from the email geek community focused on email development.
📊 Email Client Market Share
Here are the top 10 most popular email clients from last month December 2022:
- Apple: 64.31%
- Apple Mail Privacy: 59.5%
- Apple iPhone: 3.0%
- Apple Mail: 1.6%
- Apple iPad: 0.2%
- Gmail: 24.50%
- Outlook: 3.24%
- Yahoo Mail: 3.00%
- Google Android: 1.37%
- Outlook.com: 0.58%
- Samsung Mail: 0.17%
- QQ Mail: 0.11%
- Orange.fr: 0.07%
- Windows Live Mail: 0.06%
Source: Litmus’ Email Client Market Share
🌟 In lighter news
- Congrats! Nevermind. A Chipotle customer was mistakenly sent an email about winning free Chipotle for life—but was later told informed it was an email mistake.
Want more updates like this?
Subscribe to our Litmus Weekly for the latest, handpicked email content and news you should know about—from both Litmus and the rest of the email world.
Anything we missed? Let us know on Twitter!