Consumer attitudes toward spam continue to shift dramatically, which demands an equal shift in email marketing strategies. To understand consumers’ current definition of spam and why they end email relationships with brands, Litmus and Fluent surveyed more than 1,300 American adults, using Fluent’s ad serving technology.
Our research brought us to two major conclusions:
- Consumers now unsubscribe and mark a brand’s emails as spam for the same reasons. [Tweet this]
- Consumers’ definition of spam now involves experiences that go well beyond the inbox. [Tweet this]
To help you navigate these changes, we detail consumers’ spam folder behavior and share a 7-point plan for how marketers can avoid spam complaints and extend subscriber relationships:
- Improve your permissioning to ensure that your email consents are strong
- Send relevant emails at a good cadence
- Create mobile-friendly emails
- Create mobile-friendly landing page experiences
- Make opting out easy to avoid frustrating subscribers
- Don’t email subscribers who have just had poor customer experiences
- Maintain your subscribers’ interest
Use the findings and advice in this ebook to increase your email list growth and subscriber lifetime value by addressing the issues that directly lead to list churn.
- February 5, 2021
- July 16, 2021
- December 22, 2021
How does your email really look?
Preview across 90+ email clients, apps, and devices.Start Now
See it in Litmus