Agencies are important players in the email marketing industry. They provide help for short-term projects, bring in strategic and technical skills that may be hard to hire for locally, and in many cases provide day-to-day operations support.
In our 2016 State of Email Agencies infographic, we break out agency-specific findings from our 2016 State of Email Production report. Beyond demonstrating the role that agencies play in our industry, this infographic highlights how agencies do things differently in terms of email production. For example…
- 30.8% of agencies have email marketing teams of 7 or more people—which is twice the rate of brand marketers (15.4%). [Tweet this]
- Agencies spend more time than brand marketers on all 5 aspect of email production. [Tweet this]
- Agencies are twice as likely as brand marketers to use an extensive pre-send checklist (34.0% vs. 17.4%). [Tweet this]
Learn more about email marketing agencies in the infographic below, and take an in-depth look at the entire email production process in our 2016 State of Email Production report.
Boosting the human and technological resources of their clients, agencies are important players in the email marketing industry, especially among big brands.
Does your company use agencies or the services arm of your email service provider for any of your email marketing?
- Yes: 38%
- No: 62%
Brands with 500+ Employees
- Yes: 51.1%
- No: 48.9%
Agencies are most often used for special projects, but a significant portion of brands use them for day-to-day email marketing operations.
Agency Services Used
When engaging agencies or the services arm of your email service provider, what services does your company use them for?
- Occasional special projects: 55.3%
- Day-to-day operations: 27.9%
- Analytics: 27.9%
- Strategic planning: 20.8%
Agencies have larger, more specialized email marketing staffs than brand marketers.
- 30.8% of agencies have email marketing teams of 7 or more people—which is twice the rate of brand marketers (15.4%).
- 44.9% of agencies have 3 or more email developers/coders on staff, compared to only 25.8% of brand marketers.
Compared to brand marketers, agencies have more emails in production at any given time and spend more time on every aspect of email production.
- 30.6% of agencies have 16 or more emails in production at any given time, compared to only 21.4% of brand marketers.
Time Spent Creating Emails
Percentage spending 3+ hours on average on these tasks
- Copywriting: 40.8%
- Design: 61.7%
- Development/coding: 56.1%
- Data logic: 31.5%
- Testing: 30.5%
(143-164 agency respondents depending on the task)
- Copywriting: 36.1%
- Design: 45.7%
- Development/coding: 41.9%
- Data logic: 26.6%
- Testing: 24.8%
(543-606 brand marketer respondents depending on the task)
Agencies use email marketing tools at higher rates than brand marketers.
Tool Usage Rates
Which of the following tools does your company use for its email marketing?
- Email Preview Software: 61.8%
- Emmet: 10.0%
- Preprocessing: 15.0%
- Postprocessor: 12.1%
- Task Runners: 14.3%
(124-157 agency respondents depending on tool)
- Email Preview Software: 52.5%
- Emmet: 5.4%
- Preprocessing: 5.7%
- Postprocessor: 5.7%
- Task Runners: 4.5%
(423-568 brand marketer respondents depending on tool)
Agencies are twice as likely to use an extensive pre-send checklist.
Does your company have a “pre-flight” checklist that it runs before sending every email?
- Extensive checklist: 34.0%
- Short checklist: 44.4%
- No checklist: 21.6%
- Extensive checklist: 17.4%
- Short checklist: 55.4%
- No checklist: 27.2%
For more information on how agencies and brand marketers plan, build, approve, and send emails, check out the 2016 State of Email Production report.
Source: State of Email Survey of more than 900 professionals involved in email marketing conducted by Litmus between Aug. 27 and Nov. 24, 2015. All questions were optional, so the number of respondents is noted for each question throughout this report.
The Litmus Agency Plan
Want to offer Litmus features to your teams or clients? Our Agency or Pro plan is our flexible, higher volume plan built to meet all the email production needs of agencies and large teams.