Email marketing continues to be unmatched when it comes to the return on investment it drives. A whopping $36 for every $1 spent, in fact. Over 2,000 marketers weighed in to help us discover trends behind these returns.
Is there anything you can do to drive a higher return? Absolutely. And we compiled and analyzed that data to give you the insights into those actions. Check out some of the highlights in the infographic below. Can’t see the image? Skip to the transcript.
Transcript: The ROI of Email Marketing
Email consistently delivers an unmatched return on investment (ROI) every year. But what’s driving it? We analyzed email programs and their ROI numbers to learn just that.
Email ROI continues to be high
For every $1 marketers spend on email marketing, they receive $36 in return.
ROI by industry
- Media, publishing, events, sports, & entertainment: 32:1
- Software & technology: 36:1
- Marketing, PR, & advertising agency: 42:1
- Retail, ecommerce, & consumer goods: 45:1
Ways to increase email ROI
How can you get even more from the almighty email dollar? Here are the strategies proven to increase email ROI.
- Run A/B tests on your emails often to help increase email ROI by 82%.
Brands that often include A/B testing as a part of their email program generate an ROI of 42:1, compared to an ROI of 23:1 for those who never A/B test their emails.
- Use dynamic content to help increase email ROI by 100%.
Brands that include dynamic email content always generate an ROI of 42:1, compared to an ROI of 21:1 for those who never or rarely employ dynamic content.
- Utilize animated GIFs to help increase email ROI by 105%.
Brands that leverage animated GIFs often or always saw an ROI of 37:1, compared to an ROI of 18:1 for those who never include animated GIFs.
- Put live content into action (while you can) to help increase email ROI by 107%.
Brands that use live content n their emails often or always report an ROI of 56:1, compared to an ROI of 27:1 for those who never do.
- Leverage external email analytics tools to help increase email ROI by 22%.
Brands that use 3rd party analytics tools for their email program often or always report an ROI of 45:1, compared to an ROI of 37:1 for those who don’t.
- Exercise an extensive checklist for pre-send testing to help increase email ROI by 42%.
Brands that use an extensive checklist for every email report an ROI of 40:1, compared to an ROI of 28:1 for those who never do.
How Litmus boosts your email ROI
Litmus is designed to empower your team to send more effective, on-brand emails at scale. The good news? Brands that work with Litmus see positive results.
- Litmus Spam Testing helps increase email ROI by 34%.
Brands that leverage Litmus Spam Testing report an ROI of 43:1, compared to an ROI of 32:1 for those who use one provided by their email service provider.
- Litmus Email Analytics helps increase email ROI by 43%.
Brands that use Litmus Email Analytics report an ROI of 53:1, compared to an ROI of 37:1 for those who don’t.
- Litmus Email Previews helps increase email ROI by 13.5%.
Brands that use Litmus Previews report an ROI of 42:1, compared to an ROI of 37:1 for those who use one provided by their email service provider.
More insights to increase your email ROI are waiting for you
Get a more in-depth look at what impacts email ROI in our CMO’s Guide to Email Marketing ROI.
Where did we get all this data? These insights are derived from Litmus’ 2020 State of Email Survey of more than 2,000 marketing professionals worldwide.
Get a more in-depth look at the factors that impact email marketing ROI
Are you looking for even more insights to help you improve returns? Learn how other factors, including email team size, list size, the regulatory environment, send frequency, and more impact email marketing returns when you download our CMO’s Guide to Email Marketing ROI.