Welcome back! We’re kicking off another edition of This Month in Email, your go-to series for all the latest happenings in the world of email marketing.
We’ve compiled the latest buzz from June 2023 to bring you up to speed (and your emails on point). So grab a cup of coffee, sit back, and sip on the biggest headlines shaping the email industry.
📰 News headlines
- Gmail makes enhancements to their mail merge feature. Businesses will now able to further personalize their emails with Google Sheets support in mail merge.
- Email service provider Proton launches Proton Pass, a new password manager with email masking and more.
- JP Morgan has been fined $4 million by U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission for deleting millions of email records relating to its Chase Bank subsidiary.
- Research suggests U.K. banks are lagging on email cybersecurity measures, with only 47% implementing Domain-based Message Authentication, Reporting and Conformance (DMARC).
- An attorney sues Microsoft for $1.75 million for trapping him in “email purgatory.”
- The competition is fierce. Microsoft’s proposed strategy to “spend Sony out of business” is revealed in a 2019 internal email.
- Virgin Media email users report issues with accessing their accounts after a multi-day outage.
- Watchout Substack: WordPress and Beehiiv have entered the newsletter wars.
- OpenAI, the developer of ChatGPT, announced it will open its first non-U.S. office in London.
- Apple announced its latest privacy and security features, including updates to private browsing in Safari and and app privacy improvements.
🌟 In lighter news
- Reminder: email marketers are human, too! VicRoads mistakenly sent out 57,000 emails with the wrong last name.
- After thousands of flight cancellations, United Airlines CEO demonstrated his commitment to leadership in an email to employees.
- Patagonia reminds subscribers about the power of living out your values.
✨ Community happenings
- The email conference calendar was jam-packed this month with Email Innovations Summit (June 19th-21st) in Las Vegas and Salesforce Connections (June 7th-8th) in Chicago.
- Meet Val Geisler: conversion & retention strategist and copywriter, and guest in this month’s Community Spotlight.
📊 Email Client Market Share
The top 10 most popular email clients of May 2023 (source: Litmus’ Email Client Market Share) are:
- Apple: 58.67%
- Gmail: 27.96%
- Outlook: 4.39%
- Yahoo Mail: 2.85%
- Google Android: 1.48%
- Outlook.com: 0.65%
- Samsung Mail: 0.16%
- Thunderbird: 0.15%
- Orange.fr: 0.07%
- Web.de: 0.06%
Stay in the email loop
Subscribe to our Litmus Weekly for the latest, handpicked email content and news you should know about—from both Litmus and the rest of the email world.
Did we miss something? Let us know on Twitter!